Thursday, February 21, 2008

For sale sign

Well, there's now a "For Sale" sign in the front yard. The house is officially on the market tomorrow, and its supposed to snow. So it goes.

I think when the boys first see the sign after school tomorrow the reality that we are going to be moving will hit them for the first time. I've talked to them about selling the house and buying a new one where we will begin to share new memories together, but I don't think they've really understood it.

The decision I made to try and keep some semblance of peace in our family by avoiding going to court I still think was the right one, and the boys are doing very well at the new daycare. But there's a part of me that still does not want to leave - the house, the town, the area. You get used to a place - everything from where you take your clothes to get dry-cleaned to your favorite gas station or bank or grocery store. And its not that I can't find new favorites in a new town, but I like the places I go now.

I also have some great friends in the area, and that by moving, is going to make things more difficult. When you're only 5 minutes away its easy to just drop in for a visit. When you're 45 minutes away, things are going to have to be planned. Its not as if that won't work (being a planner myself), but part of me is worried that the distance may be a big obstacle to overcome in keeping good friendships. Its something that has been on my mind, and now that the For Sale sign is up in the yard, its a reality that is hitting me too.

2 comments:

Karie said...

Oh Kriss...do I ever understand! I'm sorry you are having to deal with this as well. If you need someone to talk to/vent to...I'm here.

What_happened? said...

Guess I will just get to used to the drive...