Friday, November 2, 2007

Back Door

So, after work I picked the boys up from daycare and we started on our way to go to a restaurant for dinner (it being Friday night and all). The drive from Allston to Hingham is anywhere from 30 to 45 minutes, depending on traffic, but with the boys in the car I get to drive in the HOV (High Occupancy Vehicle) lane on the Southeast Expressway.

We're just past Boston, had just gotten into the HOV lane, when the light goes on in the car and the inside bell starts dinging. What could that be I thought? I looked down at the display just above the steering wheel and it said that the left rear car door was open! Now I'm travelling at about 55 miles per hour in a long line of cars - and once you're in the HOV lane, there's nowhere to pull over. My next thought? "Oh Shit!"

Leo then asks me what is wrong (he being the one sitting in the rear seat on the left side). I asked him to please not touch the door. I looked in the side rear view mirror and saw that at least his door was still partially latched, so I hit the electronic lock button on my left driver's panel, locking all the doors. The dinging finally stopped but all the inside car lights stayed on. But there was nothing to do but keep driving.

So, we got to the end of the HOV lane about ten minutes later and I was finally able to pull over, get out of the car and close Leo's door. Once back in the driver's seat, I immediately locked all the doors. Won't make that mistake again!

No comments: