Thursday, December 13, 2007

Snow

Wow - where did all of this snow come from?



I got a call at work that daycare was going to close at 3:00 due to the weather. The snow started falling in Boston around 1:00. I left at 2, thinking that I'd get to the school around 2:15 when the boys were waking up from their naps. The Mass Pike was practically a parking lot already so I barely made it to the school by 3:00. That's right, an hour to go 4 miles!

Finally got the boys into their snow gear and left school at 3:30. The Mass Pike back into Boston the other way had been all backed up so I figured that maybe the Pike westbound might move a little faster after the toll booths, then I would circle around the south of Boston on 128. Now as I'm sitting here looking back, that was a really stupid decision on my part.

As soon as I got on the Pike it was gridlock. I had brought along Leo's favorite movie, which they watched twice by the time we got to 128. That's right, almost 2 hours to go 8 miles.

Then, once on 128, there were jacknifed trucks and stalled cars that we slowly weaved in and around as I put on the Lion King and pulled out snacks for the boys I had tucked away. We finally got home at 7:30 - a 4-hour drive in the falling snow! Might have been cut down to 2 hours if I'd gone the other way, but the boys were pretty good most of the way so I can't complain.

2 comments:

What_happened? said...

I stayed home in it!

kpett said...

I had to work and had an important lunch meeting that I couldn't miss. So, I'm staying home Friday to play in the snow with the boys!